Sunday, November 29, 2009

Thanksgiving & Whatnot

This could quite possibly be the longest I’ve gone without updating the blog, but, you know, it was Thanksgiving break, so cut me some slack… I was out doing stuff that I could later write about, here. So, let’s see if I can remember what all has happened since last Saturday.
So, let’s begin. I honestly don’t remember what happened during the daylight hours of Saturday, but I can pretty much guarantee it was nothing even remotely exciting. Later that night, however, was a different story. I do remember that I was excruciatingly bored, so I thought to myself, “I’ll go over to Light Up UCF, and watch the movie they have playing, out on the projector.” When I arrived on campus, I called up JM to see if he would enjoy partaking in the mildly amusing festivities. He had, apparently, already caught the first showing of the movie, and did not wish to stay for a second screening. Instead, I ditched the movie idea, all together, in favor of going to hang out with JM and some of his friends from the church group he attends. We made our way across campus, and were treated to some hot coca by one of the guys residing inside. After we had finished our cocoa, we went out into the courtyard area for several sporting rounds of bocce ball. All in all, the night turned out to be quite a bit of fun. Won one of the games of bocce ball, made some new friends, and had a good time, in the process.

Sunday rolled around, but neither Chris nor myself rolled out of our beds in the morning to greet it, in time for church. I apparently just didn’t hear my alarm, and Chris fell deathly ill, so we stayed at home for National Five Iron Frenzy Day 2009. Though now too big, I donned my favorite FIF shirt, threw on the album “Upbeats & Beatdowns”, let it play through to “The End Is Here” (Not exactly in that order, but my point is that I listened through all of my Five Iron albums), and took most of the day to work on one of my final exams. Later on, when dinner time was upon us, in keeping with tradition, I ventured out to see if any of the local marketplaces sold Rhubarb Pie. Unfortunately, that’s a less common type of pie, and there was none to be had. I settled for our traditional FIF day dinner instead: Bacon bits and jalapeños on a Polish hot dog. Really that’s all that happened that day. Happy FIF Day 2009!

The week started again, and after Monday’s Spanish class, I decided, why wait until tomorrow to go home, when I could just leave now? So, I did. Granted, I missed Muffin Monday and Castle, but there’s always next week… As far as I know, they enjoyed some cinnamon muffins and discussed the end of the world. Everyone (and by everyone, I mean all rational, competent people) knows that the world is not going to end in 2012. Instead, I believe that the consensus was that the world would, however, end with a twist, leaving everyone going “Ohhh…” On the flipside, a few hundred miles away, I was in Fort Myers. Upon my arrival, I spent a few hours enjoying the company of my family, before Kory and I headed off to meet Jess, and another girl whom I just met that night, Kaylee. We hung out at Starbucks for a few hours, just talking and whatnot, until we decided to step outside, around the time Kaylee had to depart. While we hung out, outside, we all realized that I had a few tennis rackets in my trunk. Naturally, we headed over to the giant, empty parking lot next door, and had a large game of the tennis variety. Not exactly tennis, but it involved tennis equipment and hitting a ball around, so it was close enough.

Tuesday, around noon, Kory and I were in the midst of driving around when we got a call from Rebekah. We decided that we would meet her at Guitar Center. Why Guitar Center is anyone’s guess, but that’s where we ended up going. After fiddling around (Pun definitely intended) on everything from banjos to steampunk guitars, we decided to head out to Sun Harvest, where we would be meeting Matt and Andrew. After sampling way too much free juice, we spent the next little while outside, in the nice cool air, just talking and catching up. People started to get hungry, and Andrew demanded that we travel over to Rib City, where he would provide cheese fries for everyone. No one argued with that, and it was off we went. Eventually, we were invited to the Sancrant’s place of residence, to view a movie. We settled on Pirates of the Caribbean 3, as I had only seen it one time, previously, but not really paid much attention to it, therefore making it basically like an entirely new movie. That’s basically how we ended out the night.

Wednesday was a rainy day. So much so, that it rained for the entirety of the day. We attempted to assemble everyone, but only Kory, Sarah, Matt, and myself were able to do anything. To alleviate the boredom of the gloomy day, Sarah invited us over to her house to enjoy some Rockband. 5:30 rolled around, and that meant that Sarah had to leave. Fortunately, Matt’s place was right down the road, so we gathered our things and headed in that direction. Eventually we were joined, once again, by the Sancrants. The rain kept pouring, so we spent the rest of the evening, right where we were. Overall, not the most eventful day, but still fun!

Thursday was Thanksgiving Day; Another holiday, somewhat like Five Iron Frenzy day, only more people celebrate and/or know about it. So, preparations were made, and eventually the extended family arrived at the house for the incredibly early dinner. I never have understood why holiday feasts were enjoyed so early in the day, as opposed to normal dinners, eaten around... well, dinner time. But that's a subject for another time. Either way, it was fun! Got to see family that I hadn't seen in awhile, and hung out with my cousin for most of the day, discussing music and such. It's always exciting to find someone else who appreciates progressive music as much as you do, so that was neat. Definitely enjoyed it. Later on, in the night, we were introduced to a game called Balderdash. I'll spare you all the details of it, as I seem to be the only person, ever, who had never heard of it, but it was definitely my kind of game. If I ever see it around one of the stores up here, I plan to purchase it; I enjoyed it that much. Other than that, I think the night went really well; and I mean, it could only go up from last year, as this year I managed not to light my hair on fire. Though I think only a select few people know about that... the rest of my family thought it was the turkey burning... (So, mom, now you know).

Black Friday. Definitely not as metal as it sounds, but still a pretty neat occasion, nonetheless. Or so I've heard. I've never actually been to a Black Friday shopping rush, but I planned on going this year. Unfortunately, I slept through my alarm, a text from Matt, and several dozen calls from Kory. Instead of waking up at 3am, I woke up at 10. We decided to head out and about anyways, later on in the day, to see if any of the deals were still going on. Kory, JM, Rebekah, Kory's cousin, and I, roamed from shop to shop, ultimately coming up with nothing decent. We decided that we would head out to the beach and visit Jess at Beach Gifts. Unfortunately, we weren't able to stay long, as we had to get Kory's cousin back home. Once we arrived back in the main part of the Fort, we headed over to meet Jeff and Russ, and hang out for a little while. We meandered around downtown, discovering new places, and admiring the first appearances of Christmas lights. Sadly, Jeff had to be back to his house around 9:30, to bid his grandparents adieu. Russ was his ride, so, unfortunately, both of them had to leave. Since we were already down that way, we headed over to the mall to visit Sarah at the Disney Store, who had been called in for Black Friday. Once joined by Jess, we waited for Sarah to get off work, and headed over to the Ale House for a bit of dinner before we ended out the night. Sarah had to leave a tad early, but we were, soon after, joined by Tiffany. As is normal for us, we found ourselves standing around, out in the parking lot. With the Swing Night coming up, I decided to teach Jess, Kory, and JM, a few of the basics. So, for the remainder of the evening, we hung out in the back of the Ale House parking lot, swing tunes blaring from the car, swinging in the empty parking lot.

Saturday, I awoke to the texts of an inquisitive Matt Dunn, inquiring as to what we should do. We decided it should be something outside, and free. We settled on Koreshan, as Matt had never been there. You do have to pay $4, per car, to get in, though, so we decided to carpool over in one car. Matt arrived at my house, and we played a bit of ping pong while waiting for Tanni and Kortney to arrive. I was pleasantly surprised to discover that the car Matt had brought to carpool in was his 1988 Grand Marquis Station Wagon. Naturally, we rolled down the windows and cranked up some old 80's tunes. Kortney and Tanni were severely embarrassed. Sadly, when we arrived at Koreshan, we were told that the park was closed early for the day. We decided we ought to head downtown, just for the heck of it, since it was such a nice day. Little did we know that when we got there, there would be a festival going on! We wandered in, and I inquired with some of the staff as to what was going on. Less exciting than my first idea, of getting up on stage and asking over the loudspeaker, but it got the job done. We had apparently arrived at the Holiday Jazz festival. Honestly, I don't know what it was really called, but the lady said something that had the words "Holiday", "Jazz", and "Festival" in the name, and told us everything there was free. I kinda stopped listening after the "free" part. Much to our amusement, they had set up a sledding hill, complete with a large bit of man-made snow. We partook in that several times, as well as the giant inflatable slide, and pictures with Santa. Unfortunately, we gave the pony rides a miss... After we had had our fun, we bid the festival farewell, and headed over to meet a larger group of people at Ale House. After dinner, it was, down to me, Matt, Michelle, Tanni, and Kortney. During a quick run to Walmart, Tanni and Michelle discovered at $4 movie bin, and bought about a dozen movies, a piece. Only one thing to do when you have a ton of movies, right? Movie night! We, once again, found ourselves back in the Sancrant's living room, though, this time, watching the film "Yes Man." At the completion of the movie, and after extinguishing the surprisingly long lasting starter log, in the fireplace, we decided to call it a night, seeing as though it was about 2am.

Today, this Sunday morning, I got up expecting to go clean my dad's office, but finding out that he didn't need me to, this week. Instead, I met up with Matt, very briefly, so he could give me something that Chris' mom gave him, to give me, to bring up to Chris. From there I set out to meet my mom at Walmart. On my way over, as I was stopped at a red light, a group of four guys, all looking my age, all with my exact same hair, and all wearing band t-shirts, walked by the crosswalk, in front of me. As they passed, they all turned, noticed me, and began smiling and waving frantically. I felt as though I was an honorary member of their group. It was neat. I arrived at Walmart, met up with my mom, and we shopped around until it was time to go meet my dad and pick out a Christmas tree for the house. We entered the tent, talked to the first lady we saw, and immediately found the Christmas tree that we wanted. They trimmed it up, wrapped it in the festive red and white netting, and we brought it home and put it up. I unfortunately, had to leave, as I thought it wise to get on the road before too late, so I didn't fall asleep on my way back up to the apartment. Therefore, I was not able to help decorate the tree (that is, if it was decorated tonight), but at least we've still got one to decorate up here. Presently, I'm back at the apartment, Oreo is seemingly astounded by the giant bag full of Christmas tree branches, and Robert & myself are currently keeping warm around the fire being emitted from the fireplace DVD. Now, I'm off to do something other than write in this blog...

Valete,
-Nick, Robert, & Chris

No comments:

Post a Comment