Tuesday, September 22, 2009

Violins, Ponce de Leon, & Steampunk Day

Wow, so a bit of a hiatus, there... My apologies to anyone who actually reads this!
I guess this post will attempt to cover the events of Friday, Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. However, since I can't recall anything exciting happening on Friday, I'll just spare you any sort of nonsensical rambling that I may have done to commemorate the lack of exciting occurrences of that day, and skip to Saturday. Then again, most of this whole last paragraph has been one big ramble... So I guess you weren't spared after all. This blog post will apparently show you no mercy...

Saturday- Having previously talked with the good people at Atlantic Strings Violin Shop, I was informed that my eBay violin purchase was somewhat of a colossal rip-off. For the violin to even get close to playable condition, I would have to replace pretty much everything, including the strings, bridge, and tuning pegs. All told, that would cost me more than I bought the instrument for, in the first place. I inquired as to what I should do about this dilemma, and fortunately, they had some good news for me! As of right now, Atlantic Strings has a violin special going on. I found a really nice new instrument, marked down from $350 to $109. Definitely excited about that! But could I afford it? And what would I do with my old one? Well, not coincidentally, the latter question solves the former question. JM and I spent the day exploring the Pawn Shops of Orlando. As they all recognized what a gigantic swindle that violin had been, as well, the most I was able to get for it was $30. Luckily, the difference was what I would have had to pay for all the replacement parts anyways. So, now it was a question of: Put new parts on a cheap instrument, or use that same money to buy a significantly higher quality instrument, with all of those parts standard? Well, the choice was resoundingly clear, and now Value Pawn is the proud owner of my old violin. My new violin arrives Wednesday!

That very same day, we acquired Rockband 2. Now, with songs by such artists as: Coheed & Cambria, Underoath, The Devil Wears Prada, Modest Mouse, Rise Against, Between The Burried & Me, Kutless, All That Remains, Mastodon, A Day To Remember, and others, we have something to, not only, enjoy, but also entertain company with! So, hooray for that!

Sunday morning we headed out to our church, First Baptist of Orlando, and, as always, enjoyed the service. Afterwords, we moseyed on over to the building next door to enjoy some $1 coffee drinks, provided by Starbucks. The lot of us usually go out to lunch somewhere, after service, but this week, everyone dispersed to their own separate activities, for one reason or another. Although, four of us (John, JM, Bri, and I) did end up hanging out at Zaxby's for an hour or so, before making the journey back home. The rest of the day was just spent catching up on homework and things of that nature.

The next morning followed with another successful Muffin Monday. This week's topic of discussion: Ponce De Leon. It was decided that if he ever did find the Fountain of Youth, a battle between him, the Highlander, and possibly Dorian Grey, would be no less than epic. Also, a little known fact, tying into the short stature of Ponce De Leon... The reason America was named after Amerigo Vespucci, and not "Columbia" after Columbus, was because Columbus turned out to just be Ponce De Leon, standing on Napoleon Bonaparte's shoulders. I really don't recall how we reached that conclusion, but nonetheless, the Board of People-Who-Name-Continents-After-Other-People frowned upon their devious scheme. I know... we were just as surprised by this information as you were...

Continuing on through Monday, Robert discovered that it was the birthday of H.G.Wells, and declared the day "Steampunk Day." And what better way to celebrate Steampunk Day than with a free Hot Air Balloon ride? Well, it just so happened that UCF was hosting free hot air balloon rides, on campus! Unfortunately, the rides were postponed due to bad weather, and didn't begin until the sun went down. Then again, it was also first-come-first-serve, so battling 55,000 other students would have made us less likely to actually be able to get a ride, anyways. It was the thought that mattered, though. Instead, we all just hung out back at the apartment and enjoyed the Season 2 premier of Castle.

Sayonara,
-Nick, Chris, & Robert

No comments:

Post a Comment